Pages

Monday, May 28, 2012

Our Little Tomato Story, Part 1


Is anyone else disgusted with the way tomatoes taste these days? I often say that kids these days don't even know what a tomato is suppose to taste like....am I wrong?

If there is one thing that Maurice hates it is gardening....at least the weeding part...he thoroughly enjoys eating the fruits of our labors however!

So here is a  little story about our quest for a decent tomato....

As I mentioned Maurice hates gardening but he does love a good tomato, so one year he bought a packet of seeds and started growing some. He took such good care of them..he was sooo proud! When they got big enough to plant outside he dug out a spade and went to work digging up the grass for our little garden plot. Yes, all by hand...no tiller needed! It was a lot of work...but he really loves tomatoes!! We also planted a few bell peppers and most likely some chilies (I can't remember that far back). I remember the peppers because this is when I fell in love with bell peppers...I couldn't get enough of them.

Anyway, the tomatoes plants were getting some beautiful fruits on them, but we started having issues with bugs. I mentioned our problem with these pesky little creatures that were wreaking havoc with Maurice's pride and joy to my mother one day. She had a solution....spray them with soapy water and they will go away! I hung up the phone and I was all excited to take my mom's advice and save the day while Maurice was at work! So, I searched for a spray bottle...loaded it up with soapy water and skipped out to the back yard and doused Maurice's tomato plants with the soapy solution! I mean I gave them a good soaking! Impressed with myself, I went back into the house and waiting for him to get home from work so I could tell him the exciting news! Problem solved!!

A few hours later, he comes home and heads straight to the back yard. I must not have heard him pull up because all I remember is him coming in the house screaming at me "What did you do to my tomato plants?"
Puzzled, I told him what my mom told me to do and then asked why. He drags me out to the back yard and said "look"! OMG....THEY WERE ALL DEAD!! In a few hours I had managed to kill the plants that he had been babying for months! Obviously, I got my mom on the phone and was like "wth did you just make me do? Do you hate me or something?" Well, this happened to be about the time that Antibacterial soap was coming into popularity. And since we are always on the cutting edge of new fangled products, of course I had some. And of course my mom hadn't considered this! Lesson learned!! Needless to say, after I got an earful I was forbidden to ever touch Maurice's tomato plants ever again!!

Over the next several years we had minimal success with tomatoes! Blight seems to a big issue in this neck of the woods!
An example of what tomato blight looks like
source: http://www.hanway.co.uk/what-a-shame/




Stay tuned for the rest of the story....I have some tomato plants to take care of!

No comments:

Post a Comment